Free & Reduced Lunch Information for 2019-2020
Free and Reduced Meals
Flushing Community Schools is proud of our Child Nutrition staff and the meals that are offered every school day. Good nutrition is an important part of a child’s education. If your child is eligible to be a part of the Free or Reduced School Meal Plan, it is important to submit your information in a timely manner.
You can use the Online Free & Reduced Lunch Application to apply starting August 5, 2019. We encourage you to use the on-line application as it is more secure and quicker. For those unable to submit online, paper applications for the Food Benefit Program for the 2019-2020 school year are available in school building offices. Reading this Frequently Asked Questions regarding Free & Reduced Meals document might help as you prepare to fill out an application. If you need help filling out the actual application, you can click this link for added information.
- If your child is new to the district, an application must be filed and approved before your child will start receiving free or reduced meals. Please send a sack lunch with your child or plan on paying for your child’s meals until you receive an approval letter from our Child Nutrition staff.
- If your child is a returning student, a new application is still required UNLESS you have received a letter notifying you that your child is pre-approved.
- If you have received a pre-approval letter, please verify that all children are listed. If a child has been omitted please notify the Child Nutrition Office at 810-591-2791.
- All applications must be submitted by October 8, 2019.
- All household members, including the parent signing the application must be listed. If the household receives assistance, a case number must be provided.
- Once approved, benefits are good for the entire school year, even if your financial situation improves.
- Meal benefits do not transfer over from other school districts to Flushing Community Schools.
- Single a la carte items (i.e. milk) must be paid for by all students regardless of their meal status.
- Flushing Community Schools offers an online payment process through MySchoolBucks. You may load money on your child’s account by clicking on the MySchoolBucks link found on the district website.
While visiting the Child Nutrition website, take a moment to view the menus that are posted. If you have any questions, please contact Sonia Shortz at 810-591-2791.