My Home Page
Welcome to Mrs. Sherwood's 3/4th Grade STEM classroom website
Dear STEM Families,
Chromebooks: STEM students will turn in Chromebooks, charging cords, and any other school material (library, class, textbooks, whiteboards) on Thursday, June 10th.
Summer Learning Packets: This week, all 3rd and 4th grade students will be receiving summer learning packets. These are intended to help students retain academic gains made this year, especially in light of all that has happened due to Covid. Students who complete the packets and return them in the fall will receive a Cops and Robbers gift certificate and will be entered into a drawing for other gift certificate prizes.
Digitial Portfolios: To reflect on their growth, achievements, goals, and memories from the 2020-2021 school year, our scholars created a student digital portfolio to share with you using a Google Site! In addition, they have received their NWEA and Moby Max growth with all their scores on it. When you are able to sit down and have your child share this portfolio, I hope you are able to celebrate all the growth, friends, and memories s/he has made this year!
Wednesday, June 9, asynchronous learning: Students will not receive direct instruction today. Instead they will log in to Google Classroom where they will find 3 end of the year activities to complete. These activities are due by Thursday, June 10th, and will be shared with the class during our pancake breakfast!
- Alphabet Graffiti: Think of everything you have learned this year. Use the alphabet graffiti board to list concepts you have learned that begin with EVERY letter of the alphabet. Type in the name of the concept next to the letter. For example, F=fractions. Compete with your classmates to see who can get the most letters completed.
- Dream Summer Vacation: Use "Explore" on the bottom of the Google Doc to help you research and find the cost for a dream summer vacation. You have $2,500 to spend. Record the cost and calculate amounts for your family members. Then answer the question at the bottom of the page.
- Snap Shot Memory: What is a favorite memory you have from our year together? Describe it. Provide lots of details so we know what made this memory so special.
Yearbooks: Yearbooks will be handed out the last day of school. Students will receive time to sign one another's yearbooks during the day. All yearbooks of students who aren't able to attend the last day of school can be picked up in the office at the end of the day on June 10th.
Next Year Updates: As the school year begins to wrap-up, families start to wonder about steps needed for next year and the STEM program. As part of the STEM program, your child is immediately re-entered into the program for the following year. That means, that current 4th grade students will automatically be enrolled in Mrs. Engleman's 5th grade STEM class, and current 3rd grade students will automatically return to my class in the Fall. Should there be a reason that your child will not continue in the program (family is moving, family wishes to return to home school), we ask that you please notify Mrs. Umphrey in writing of your need to remove your child from the STEM program. Additionally, you would need to contact your child's "home" school principal to inform him/her of your desire to re-enroll your child with that school. This will help secure your child's place in the school of your choice.
Here are some important upcoming dates to keep on your calendars:
- Wednesday, June 9th: Students will have no virtual classes. Instead, they will be completing end of year activities that are sent home by teachers that day.
- Thursday, June 10th, 1/2 day (Last day of school) All Chromebooks, charging cords, text books, library books, and whiteboards should be returned to school this day.
A supply list for next year's materials can be found below. Have a great summer!
Materials: Fall 2021-2022
- (6) Two-Pocket Folders (red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, if possible, if not, a multi-colored pack will do)
- Pencil box (8 x 5)
- 3 x 3 10 pack Post-It notes
- Set of ear buds (small enough to be stored in scholar’s pencil box)
- Digital timer (see $Dollar store)
- (2-3) 8-pack dry erase markers and a pair of socks (erasers) *Buying at least 2-3 packets is recommended for the year. These run out on kids and they will need a new supply throughout the year as this occurs. Extras packs can be kept at home or in their lockers.
As we embark on this new journey together, this site will provide you with all the essential information you will need to stay up-to-date on what's happening!If you should ever have any additional questions that the website doesn't provide or would like to discuss your child's progress, please feel free to contact me at the following:
Help Our School Earn Free Money: When sending the first three items to school, please place them into separate envelopes or ziplock bags. Write Sherwood on each envelope or bag.
- Campbells Soup Labels
- Box Tops
- Bueche's Receipts
"Science of today is technology of tomorrow."