Athletic Hall of Fame By Laws
FLUSHING HIGH SCHOOL
ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME
Flushing High School’s Athletic Hall of Fame is being proposed with the intention of providing a medium to honor former Flushing athletes as well as individuals who have served the athletic department in a distinguished manner.
The Athletic Hall of Fame will recognize men and women who have distinguished themselves by virtue of their performance as members of Flushing High School athletic teams or by service to the athletic department.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
The Board of Directors will determine policy and elect honorees for induction into the Athletic Hall Of Fame. The Athletic Hall of Fame Board of Directors shall be comprised of 13 constituents representing both gender and era. The Flushing High School Athletic Director and High School Administrator (or designee) shall be permanent members of the Board of Directors. The Athletic Director will serve as Chairperson during his/her tenure.
The members of the Board of Directors will be elected for a term of three (3) years. Representatives other than the Athletic Director and High School Administrator (or designee) will be on a staggered three (3) year rotation. Replacement appointments will be the sole responsibility of those members remaining on the Board of Directors. New members to the Board of Directors must receive a unanimous vote of the remaining Board members. Members representing an era or members at large are eligible to serve consecutive terms with a two-thirds vote from the board at the end of their term. Board members may be removed from the committee when such action will serve the best interest of the Hall of Fame and must be a two-thirds vote of the remaining members. If a vacancy on the board occurs the position will be filled from nominations by current board members and a majority vote (two-thirds). Initial Board selections shall be made by the Athletic Director.
Board members usually are not eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame during their tenure on the Board of Directors. If a Board member is nominated, a unanimous vote by the Board must be received.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERSHIP:
Initial members of the Board of Directors shall be solicited by the Athletic Director and approved by the Flushing High School Administration. The membership shall consist of:
- The Flushing High School Athletic Director
- A Flushing High School Administrator or designee
- Two (2) members of the Flushing High School athletic department coaching staff, past or present. By a draw of lots, one member will serve two (2) years and the second member will serve three (3) years
- Two members who have graduated from Flushing High School no less than 30 years ago. By draw of lots, one member will serve two (2) years and the second member will serve three (3) years
- Two individuals who have graduated from Flushing High School within the past 30 years. By draw of lots, one member will serve two (2) years and the second member will serve three (3) years
- Two individuals who will serve as members-at-large and must be members of the Flushing Athletic Booster Club. By draw of lots, one member will serve two (2) years and the second member will serve three (3) years.
- An athlete will be eligible for nomination into the Athletic Hall of Fame five (5) years after graduation and must have earned a minimum of two (2) varsity letters in one (1) sport or one (1) letter in two different sports while a athlete at Flushing High School to be eligible for nomination.
- Recognition at the state, county, and league levels will be considered in addition to any post high school accomplishments.
- An athlete must have made a direct and significant impact on Flushing High School athletics. He/she must have had an outstanding career, demonstrated good character and achieved acceptable academic standards.
- A team must have finished the season as State runner-up or Champion to be considered for induction.
INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE SERVED THE FLUSHING ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
- An individual, athletic administrator, coach, or staff member must have served Flushing High School within the field of athletics for ten (10) years to be eligible for consideration.
- An individual, athletic administrator, coach, or staff member must have made a direct and significant impact on Flushing Athletics. He/she must have had an outstanding career, setting high professional and personal standards.
- An athletic administrator, coach, or staff member becomes eligible for the Athletic Hall of Fame three (3) years after leaving Flushing High School or removing him/herself from the Flushing High School Athletic Department for reasons other than retirement. If an individual retires, he/she becomes eligible for nomination one (1) year from the date of retirement.
ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME SELECTION PROCEDURES:
- Anyone may submit a nomination to the Athletic Hall of Fame Board of Directors. Nomination forms will be available in the Flushing High School Athletic Director’s office.
- Nominations should be made on an official nomination form, entitled “Flushing High School Athletic Hall of Fame Nomination Form”. All “candidate” forms should be accompanied, whenever possible, by documents supporting the nomination such as team summaries, newspaper clippings, supporting letters, etc.
- Nomination forms must be accompanied by a photograph of the nominee. Although a photograph of the nominee from the era of his/her contribution is desirable, a current photograph may be acceptable.
- Nominations for the upcoming year must be made prior to October 1st.
- The Board of Directors will evaluate and select nominees by the third Monday in November. Selection to the Flushing Hall of Fame requires 8 of 13 possible Board of Director votes.
- The Chairperson of the Board of Directors will notify the selected nominees of their selection to the Athletic Hall of Fame.
- For the initial induction, (Winter 2012),the Board of Directors shall select no more than seven (7) athletes and three (3) staff members and one Distinguished Service Award.
- After the initial year, again, a maximum of five (5) athletes and up to one (1) staff member into the Flushing Athletic Hall of Fame each year.
- The Board of Directors may present a Distinguished Service Award to individuals who have contributed to the Flushing High School Athletic Department other than an athlete or staff member.
- Names of nominees not selected will be kept on file for consideration each year. There shall be no limit to the number of times an individual may be considered by the Board of Directors.
- THE BOARD RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY INDUCTEE FROM THE HALL OF FAME DUE TO CONDUCT DETRIMENTAL TO THE CHARACTER AND REPUTATION OF FLUSHING HIGH SCHOOL AND/OR TO THE HALL OF FAME.
BY LAW AMENDMENT PROCEDURE:
- Any change in the existing by-laws requires the approval of eight (8) of thirteen (13) members of the Board of Directors.
Revised; October 16, 2017